domingo, 1 de febrero de 2009

The boy at the border

Border crossings used to be all day affairs. We would drive to whichever border we needed to cross, fully expecting to spend several hours in the heat of the day, waiting for a stamp in a passport. It has become much easier in the last couple of years. The officials seem more friendly, maybe because the system has become more streamlined, and they don`t have to work so hard. One thing that hasn`t changed is little boys asking for money. I used to struggle with my attitude, but in the last few years, I just don`t worry about it anymore. If I have a coin or two handy, they are welcome to it. If I don`t, I don´t feel guilty.

This last trip, a boy about ten grinned at me as I sat waiting in the car for John to get the required car insurance to enter Nicaragua. I didn`t have any money, but I did have a box of granola bars. Would you like one? I asked. Sure, he said.

A few days later we were on our way back through to the Honduran side after our visit to Nicaragua. A grinning boy about ten popped up at the window. You're the lady with the cookie, aren't you? he asked.

Do you have any notebooks? No, I didn`t happen to have any notebooks. I'm going to school and I need five notebooks. Really? That's great! Got any backpacks? Backpacks? No, I didn`t bring any extra backpacks, would you like another cookies? Sure, he grinned. Then I remembered I didn`t have any more of those either. How much does a notebook cost? 10 lempiras. I dug around the front seat to see if I could find any coins. Would Nicaraguan money do you any good? Sure, he said (I wondered to myself if he really was going to school, or if it was his line to get things from travelers. No matter, I said, if I have some coins, he is welcome to them) I found three Nicaraguan coins. Two fives and another I can`t remember what it was. I have enough here for one notebook, I said, holding out the three coins in the palm of my hand. He carefully took the two coins that would buy the notebook and left the other one in my hand. Thanks, he said, running off down the road.
A few minutes later we were ready to cross onto Honduras. I saw a little ten year old boy with a infectious grin..He waved at me as we passed and I waved back.

1 comentario:

Becky dijo...

Someday, that little boy just might write about "The lady at the border." I'm glad you gave him a few coins!