miércoles, 15 de octubre de 2008

I think that was me.

Last week I wrote about the kids in the Saturday afternoon class I am teaching. My sister, Becky, commented "Kids are the same the world over. I heard a story about a SS teacher who asked her class, "Kids, what is small, brown, furry, with a fuzzy tail, that runs around in your back yard." One child said, "It sounds like a squirrel, but I'll say 'Jesus.' " Oh my, yes.
I went back to the kid's class last Saturday with what I thought was an absolutely cool object lesson. It involved a raw egg and a hammer. The egg arrived safely to the class, but somehow got broken before my turn came to teach (a real mess in the basket), so I had to borrow another one. I did the object lesson, gave the application and then asked, "Did you understand?" Expecting these wonderful responses, I got, "No." sigh. Cool isn't always the same as communicating, I guess.
Anyway, during the game time, I was watching a particular boy. He was obviously in a bad mood, but I appreciated the way he kept participating and didn't take his unhappiness out on anyone else. I wanted to congratulate him, but didn't want to single him out, because it was a bad mood I was recognizing and I thought it might embarress him (maybe it wouldn't have, I don't know). So, I explained that I had noticed that someone on one of the teams that didn't win many games that day had really had a good attitude. This person had kept on trying and and participating, even though this person was frustrated. I didn`t want to say the name of the person, but I thought that person would know who he or she was. Not the best way to give a complement maybe, but it was what occurred to me. The boy I had been watching didn't react, but I heard two or three other voices whispering to someone close to them: "I think that was me."

No hay comentarios: