domingo, 28 de septiembre de 2008

An ordinary day?

Friday started out as an ordinary day. No classes to teach, no traveling. Catch up on laundry...that kind of thing. I was actually thinking about writing a blog ( Do you write a blog or in a blog?) about how nice it was to have an ordinary day. And then, the electricity started hiccuping. A power surge in one part of house while in another part of the house the lights dimmed. ( We do not live in a very big house, so it was a pretty weird feeling.) The microwave started and stopped half a dozen times, until I unplugged it. In fact, I unplugged everything I could think of to unplug and have been cautious about turning any two things on at once for the last couple of days. We emptied the refrigerator and freezer and put everything in two coolers with ice. I finished the load of laundry I was doing by hand, since the washer quit working completely and the having the refrigerator on make the rest of the house go dim. Not good. Just now I had to turn off the fan so that I could use the internet. So much for an ordinary day. Being a teacher by inclination, I tend to see object lessons in everything, and I guess what I saw in my crazy weekend was that they have been ordinary days. We are fine, our lives barely touched. The food is in coolers, but we have food. Ordinary days have lots of inconvenient things happen. Thank God for ordinary days. Days to give thanks for what we have and for the ways that life reminds us of our blessings.

No hay comentarios: